Saturday, February 9, 2008

You Like My Loving Better, Cause You Said So In A Letter





I seen editors for the first time in November or something of 2007. I liked the first record, didn't have the second record, and overall enjoyed it. At times it did seem to drag on but I got to witness the madness that is Biffy Clyro opening so that made up for it I guess. Also, the afterparty with the band at popscene has become one of my favorite nights there to date.

Hot Hot Heat has been a favorite of mine for about 4 years. I remember attending BFD in 2003, strictly to watch them. They played first and opened the side stage. I even made a sign out of a pizza box that said "Can I play cow bell on Talk To Me Dance With Me?" and as I was waiting in line a van passed by with them inside and I held it up. Someone from inside the van either pointed or waved. I took the box inside, and was about to hold it up when I started to chicken out. Then my buddy Marie who I went with said I had to do it and she said she would hold it up. Within a matter of seconds we got it taken away by security because it would obstruct the views of the people behind us. There are other stories but thats for another time...if ever.

Louis XIV: My first encounter with them was opening for the Killers at GAMH back in 2004. It was a sold out show, people were in front of us being dicks, and we met two people, Elizabeth and Andrea, who still are my friends today. Those two girls, probably 15 at the time, had the courage to approach the lead singer and tell him to put my sister and I on the guestlist since it was sold out in exchange for buying merch. He smiled, probably flattered and impressed at these two girls and their business approach to the situation and happily obliged. We got in, bought merch as promised, really enjoyed the show and to this day have not thanked them for the kind gesture. Though, it wouldn't matter to them either way I still wanted to show them my gratitude whether they remembered it or not. They would later on tour with Hot Hot Heat and play GAMH but I didn't pay them much attention as Steve Bays had sung with me that night and I was determined to meet him.

Fast forward to "today". Editors are attempting bigger success and playing the Warfield, Hot Hot Heat has released their second record on a major label and Louis XIV are embarking on another tour as the openers having just released their second CD. I have missed Hot Hot Heat the passed two times in town and being generally nonchalant about seeing Louis XIV.

I am not really prolific when it comes to writing about a band live. I keep it simple. So in a nutshell.

Louis XIV:
Blew me away. I wished I hadn't brushed them off so many times before. I am completely in lust with the bassist. Who reminds me another bassist I am enamored with. So much so it could be his older, more confident brother. Since the last tim eI seen them they have added two violinist. Which helped bring in a more country (to be general) feel and I think they played Louis Reprise because of it. I was throughly shocked at how much I was into it. Look forward to maybe catching them at the Fillmore. I hear its the same day as the Cribs so I don't know.

Hot Hot Heat:
They should probably be playing this venue as headliners, but when an indie band goes to a major you can expect a backlash. Honestly, the music suffered as well. There wasn't as much danceable songs on Elevator as the superb Makeup the Breakdown. Elevator could easily fit into being played as Elevator music in comparison but I still stayed loyal. Happiness LTD is definitely a step up. More listenable. Which in my case I don't know if that means it is less or more accessible. They played the hits. Closed with Talk To Me Dance With Me.

Editors: I was in and out of the lobby and floor area like I was bumping because I wanted to try and meet HHH. I watched them play the good songs, Sparks etc.

Eventually, I left early and caught up with Dustin (who doesn't want to start a band with me) and Paul (who apologized about not remember who I was, its cool I didn't expect you to) and Steve wa super sick so he snuck out and I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

No comments: